Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Something new and something sketchy....

I have decided to start a new segment dedicated to scrapbooking. I have taken a loooong break (almost a year!) and I think that it is about time that I get back into it, and in the process I hope that I can inspire you to do a page or two as well :)

Before I became a card maker, I was actually a scrapbooker. ( I believe that scrapbooking is just a gateway drug to other addictions LOL!) When I asked one of my friends if she wanted to get together to scrapbook she told me that she wasn't really a scrapbooker, she like to make cards. I was like.... Cards? Why in the world would you want to make cards?! Shortly after I was introduced to SCS and it all went down hill from there ;)

At first I made only 12x12 pages but after a couple of years, I was getting tired of making such large pages and decided to do 8.5x11 so that I could just put my pages in page protectors and stick them in binders. Not only did this cut down on the cost of having to buy albums but I could also slip a scrapbook page in the front cover of the binder.

I have spent a lot of time thinking about why we spend so much time and creativity to make cards for others but don't spend as much time in making something special for ourselves. So I thought of a way that I could combine the two. I would find a card in my favorites gallery on SCS and find a way to turn that card into a layout. I love how these pages turn out because they are just as beautiful as the card but it has a special picture/s and I get to keep it forever.

Here is the first Wednesday Stampbooking Page. This was cased from a beautiful card made by my friend Angela. I love her stunningly simple style and this card works perfect for the inspiration of a scrapbook page.


















My Page

I just love this picture taken of Kylie and Chloe! Kylie is such a leader and just loves to direct plays for her sisters to be in. On this particular night Kylie had Matt, Kayla and I sit on the couch while she turned off the TV and got Chloe dressed up. She then put some toys together to make a throne for Chloe and had her all decked out as a queen. As Chloe sat there, Kylie started making up a completely random song about Chloe the queen. It was the cutest thing ever! After a few minutes, Kylie got shy and gave the microphone to Chloe and then Chloe sang her song at the top of her lungs. She isn't shy at all. She is such a happy child and always is talking and singing in her LOUD voice :) It's the moments like this that I remember why we wanted to have kids so close in age......



*****************************

And last but not least, here is the sketch challenge card that I made. I thought that since I already had paper and a stamp set out I would just use them. I love these colors together and think that this card turned out so cute!


Ok, I think you guys have had more than enough of my rambling for one day so I'll leave it at that. Have a wonderful day!

9 comments:

Christi Flores said...

I think this is just the motivation I need to get back into scrapbooking too! This is fantastic!!!!! I also love your card!! Adorable!!!

Anonymous said...

Very cute Jessica,
I love the idea of taking a card layout and making it a scrap page!

Anonymous said...

So pretty!! Love your creations and your scrap page!! ;) TFS!

Becky Sorensen said...

Very sweet - I need to get back to scrapbooking too!!
hugs,

Angela said...

Jessica, I love it!!!!

I need to get into scrapping (again?) too. My boys so loved looking at the December daily album I made and I'd love to have more for them to look at. What a great way to find inspiration!

Jessie/knightrone said...

GORGEOUS...I totally need to scrapbook more but I just dont make the time!!

Kelli Hull said...

TOTALLY cute, and LOVE both the page AND the card... I have a couple boxes of cards and "some" paper, want to use them? :)

Dolce Deb's Designs said...

Jess what an awesome idea I have not made a scrap page in a very long time.

I must say this beautiful page is over shadowed only by your beautiful daughters. Hope you all have a wonderful day and TFS.

OBTW I love your sketch challenge card as well. Way to be mega productive.

Love Ya
Debbie/Phx AZ

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I too feel the same. I started out scrapping and turned to stamping and card making. I decided myself recently to do the same as you. I love your idea of taking inspiration from a card. I think I will try that, it is a really great idea.