Friday, May 8, 2009

Dollar Find Friday (Holly-Luau Plaque)

Happy Friday everyone! Holly has put together this awesome customised Luau Plaque tutorial for us. I love this project and it definitely makes me want to give it a try :) Thanks Holly!!


Supplies needed:
Dollar Store "Luau" Plaque
Markers (I used copics)
There She Goes A-Z and 123s set
There She Goes Friendship Flowers set
Versafine Black Onyx ink
Ruler
Pencil
Polyurethane
Quick Dry sealer
Step 1: Remove the hanger from the plaque and set aside. I did not reuse the jute that came with the plaque. I used beaded jute instead.

Step 2: Using a straight edge ruler, draw faint lines on the plaque for sentiment placement. You will need to erase these after your ink has dried, so make sure they are very faint (or you may opt out of this step if you have a good eye!)Step 3: Stamp saying and decorations. I used a very small ( 1" x 1" ) acrylic block for this project.

Step 4: Color images with markers. The copic markers took well to the untreated wood, but I did have to go over the image twice to get a deep color.
Step 5: Let dry at least 30 minutes or more (Very important!!!)
Step 6: In a well ventilated area, spray plaque with Polyurethane (3-4 coats, waiting 15 minutes between coats).Step 7: Restring jute hanger and you're done!
Now wasn't that easy!?! It is now hanging on my studio door :)
*************
Enjoy your weekend everyone!

2 comments:

Kelli Hull said...

THAT is just SUPER CUTE!!!! I'm gonna head to the $ store this week IF I get a day off.... UGH!!

LOL Thanks Holly & Jessica!

Lori said...

So Cute! Thank Holly for me, Jessica.