Friday, February 15, 2008

Dollar Find Friday!!

I don't know about you but every time I see those paper mache boxes in the store I scoop them up with the intent to alter. The last time that I really attempted to do this was a couple of years ago for Valentine's Day. I made the mistake of using Mod Podge on both the inside and outside of the box. The problem with this was that the lid would stick to the bottom and be almost impossible to get off! So I decided to finally give it another try......



Supplies:
12x12 paper by Basic Grey
Compass
Dimensionals
Sponge brush
Lumiere paint in Metallic Olive
Paper Mache container
Chipboard letter (I used a punch out letter by Basic Grey and glued it on chipboard to make it thicker)












Step 1- Paint box. I love the lumiere paint because it's thin but gives great coverage. I like to water it down just a tad because I like the look of the brown peeking through.








Step 2- After the paint is dry, measure the circumference around the lid. Mine was about 13 inches.

Measure the width of the lid.







Step 3- Since the paper is only 12x12 I cut diagonal to give me a little more length. My strip is a little more then half an inch wide, which would give me a little bit of a reveal.













Step 4- Adhere your strip of paper around the box. I like to use Aleen's Tacky glue for this sort of thing.











Step 5- Use compass to measure the size of the inside bottom of box. Cut out two circles, one for the top of the lid and one for the inside of the bottom.















Step 6- Adhere both pieces












Step 7- Using dimentionals, add your letter to the top.


















Finished Product!

1 comment:

Emily4Days said...

I LOVE this box!!! So much prettier in person!