Friday, October 10, 2008

Dollar Find Friday (Bev- Acetate Pencil Box)

Our wonderful host for this week's DFF is Bev! Check out this awesome little pencil box that she made using the Branching Out set. So cute!


Hi everyone! Welcome to Dollar Find Friday!

This week, it is my turn to host DFF for the There She Goes Design Team.The challenge for those unfamiliar with DFF is to find a dollar item and spruce it up!My dollar find was this set of triangular shaped pencils in the triangle shaped acetate box.
I bought them at Office Max. I was stoked b/c the cool acetate box was already made for me and I just had to make a cover to make it a cute gift.I measured the box to find the cover needed to be 7 1/2" long, and I wanted it to be 3 3/4" tall to completely cover all of the branding.So I cut a sheet of textured Pumpkin Pie cardstock at those measurements and then used my scoring tool to score it at 2 1/8", 4 1/4", and 7 1/4" to make the 3 sides as well as a 1/4" flap to keep it together.I made an additional layer of very vanilla cardstock at that same length and scoring lines, but shortened it to a 2 3/4" height.I was looking at my There She Goes stamp sets and *knew* I had to use the Branching Out set. Yeah. You know I love this set! :)Once the vanilla cardstock was scored, I could see where to line up my trees and stamped those out.
I also stamped out 3 "leaf piles" with the same stamp for the leaves on the tree onto some more very vanilla cardstock, and colored them in.This is how I did that: I used three colors (Pumpkin Pie, Summer Sun, and Really Rust). I took each color's ink pad and smashed the lid down on the ink pad so that there was ink on the lid. I then took my blender pen and took some ink off the lid with my blender pen and colored in the whole leaf.
I then took that same color, but in a marker form (more intense coloring than the blender pen) and colored in the lower part of each leaf for great shading.

You can see how the leaf on the left is shaded with the marker already, while the one on the right is not.Once I cut out the leaf piles, I adhered them onto each of the three corners of the Pencil Pack with dimensionals.

I made this tag with the same Branching Out set and even used the leaves image on the tag with Pumpkin Pie ink. This was a lot of fun to make and I hope you will give it a try! As always, if you do, please leave me a comment so I can see what you did!


Happy Friday! :)



2 comments:

Stampinsilvia said...

ohhhh wow this is just too cute! I lvoe this pencil box and might just have to get some myself! Thanks for sharing! I just love your DFF!

kat said...

Oh, my! Looks like I'll have to make a stop to get some of these cute pencil boxes tomorrow; good idea!