Friday, April 25, 2008

Dollar Find Friday! (Chocolate box)

If you guys are anything like me, you keep random stuff with the thought that someday you will alter it. So today is going to be more of a Freebie Find Friday instead of Dollar Find Friday lol! This last week, I was making a gift basket for my aunt for her birthday. I had picked up a bunch of these cute teal and black office supply type things at Michael's dollar spot. I thought that I had an extra basket at home but couldn't find one. So I started digging through my "alter-ables box" to see what I could use. I came across this chocolate box that I have been "saving" for over a year lol! So today I'm going to show you what I came up with for this box.




Supplies-
Chocolate box
Black acrylic paint
Acrylic sealer
White stazon
Stamp set of your choice
Rhinestones







Step 1- Paint the box inside and out (both top and bottom). I needed to do three coats to get complete coverage. In between each coat, I dried the paint with my heat gun. I'm not one for patients :) The paint will be a little "bubbly" but I thought that it was a nice touch.

Step 2- When the third coat was dry, I sprayed acrylic sealer on the outside of the box to help protect it. I let the sealer dry overnight before I finished decorating it.




Step 3- I first stamped my flowers in white stazon directly on the box. Then I stamped the larger flowers and leaves on white card stock, cut them out and adhered them on top. I used my cuttlebug to cut out the letters to put my aunt's name on the box. And last but certainly not last- I added rhinestones!







I thought that the box turned out pretty cute and coordinated with the office supplies perfectly.












10 comments:

Anonymous said...

THis is really cute. What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Jess, I think you did a FABULOUS job making this gift ensemble! LOL...now I know why I'm keeping all these strange things (formula cans, etc...)! I should show my DH this, so he knows why I have my stash(es)! LOL

Crystal (SCS happy2stamp4ever)

Anonymous said...

to clever and very nice gift! thanks for sharing!
peggy-sue

Anonymous said...

That is WICKED! (the good wicked)

Tania said...

Wow, this is gorgeous! You did a great job.

Anonymous said...

Jessica -- What a fantastic idea!! You took the ordinary and created it into extraordinary!! This is a wonderful gift idea -- thank you for sharing it. Keep up the wonderful creativity -- many of us (including me) are enjoying it immensely!!
~Amy S.~

SmilynStef said...

You took those adorable office supplies to a whole new level with this great box ... wonderful gift.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!!! What a great gift idea and such a beautiful way to recycle those chocolate boxes. Now, I know what to do with mine...instead of using them as dust magnets;) Thanks for the wonderful idea!

Carolyn
(SCS: Aunt Carol)

Angel said...

What a wonderful set! I really love the colors! Hmmm, think I'll be keeping my candy boxes from now on! hehe!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you did a great job on that box.