Saturday, July 17, 2010

Hello friends!

It's been a busy week in the Knutsen household with everything from furniture stripping to ER visits. Thankfully the two weren't related lol!

On Wednesday I noticed that our youngest daughter's eye was slightly swollen but assumed it was because she had been crying over the death of her new pet dragonfly. (Luck had it that it 'came alive' again only to be accidental stepped on by one of the older sisters...) After her bath that evening I noticed that the swelling had increased just a bit. When she woke up Thursday morning it looked like this-

I decided that it might be a good idea to play it safe and took her to a walk in clinic to have it checked out. The Dr. there had no idea what it might be but said to just treat it like an allergy and give her Benadryl and Tylenol for the slight fever she had. I was told that if it got worse to take her to the ER.

Well, Friday morning when she woke up it was definitely worse. The poor thing couldn't even open her eye because it was so swollen and the lid had started to look a little red.
This is a picture that Matt took Friday before the ER visit-
Luckily Matt was working nearby so he took off the rest of the day so I could take her in to the ER. She was amazing! After the Dr. examined her, he diagnosed her as having Periorbital Cellulitis which is a staph like bacterial infection in the skin tissue around the eye. Luckily we caught it before it turned into Orbital Cellulitis which effects the fatty and muscle tissue of the eye which could eventually spread into the brain if left untreated.

I was completely amazed by this little trooper! Not only did she not cry when the nurse was putting in her IV stint for the antibiotics but she hardly even flinched! The nurse stuck the needle in her arm then had to wiggle it around for about 30 seconds while she located the vain. Then they needed to take two tubes of blood for testing. After all that she had to sit for almost an hour while the intravenous antibiotics were being administered. She fussed a tiny bit the first couple of minutes because the antibiotics burned but then she was fine. Actually she completely happy because she had her own TV in the room and got to watch Tom and Jerry the whole time lol!

Here is a picture of her holding the remote :)

Looking at her IV right after it was put in.
So far my little Stinkerbell is doing well but needs to go back in on Saturday for her second round of meds. Hopefully this will take care of the infection so that it doesn't progress! Keep your fingers crossed!!

Enjoy your weekend everyone :)


ottersln said...

So thankful you all caught it early. She is a real trooper. Having been in the hospital a lot as a child I can tell you it can be a very intimidating and frightening experience. She looks like she took it in stride and that says a lot about your sweet daughter.

~amy~ said...

whatta trooper your cutie pie girl is...gotta love the pic of her and the remote:)

Alexis said...

Awww, poor girl. What a little trooper. You can tell her that we all think she was pretty brave. Hopefully this week will be ER free. Good luck.

Tracey said...

Oh my goodness, poor girl! So glad she handled it so well. Hope she is back to 100% soon.

Anonymous said...

Wholy crap!!! I hope she is ok, I remember when Joely had her first IV, she was little, 2 years old, and was so good! Get her a webkinz to cuddle with!!!

Anita said...

She is such a trooper. I will pray that she heals quickly.

Cathy said...

Oh my goodness, what a brave little girl. And such a cutie too. Love the pic of the remote. So cute. Hope she gets well soon.

Judy McMullen said...

Oh, Jessica, I'm so sorry your sweet DD has to go through this infection and so thankful you caught it in the early stages. What a brave girl to go through all this with hardly a complaint. I'll keep her in my prayers for quick and total healing! Hugs to you all!

bernietom47 said...

I'm adding your little Miss to my prayer list for a quick and complete recovery.

Crafty Math Chick said...

Goodness! Glad you caught it early Jessica! I am so glad she is on the mend now and the worst is behind her, and you.